It's very frustrating that when you complete a Daily Expedition, you end up creating a new settlement. This is because you have no control over the location of the settlement on the map; it just plunks it down next to the Citadel.
This has the effects of:
• You "fall behind" as it were on the race with the other factions.
• You lose out on a better positioned city on the world map. This prevents you from blocking other factions' settles, progressing towards "?" tiles.
• (I don't think) you can even name the settlement.
I would prefer if when you play a Daily Expedition map, it doesn't have any interaction with the "campaign" map progress; it doesn't create a city at all, nor does it progress the timer towards the next Blightstorm.
If this change isn't implemented, at least make it clear to the player that they are sacrificing the ability to play a city in the place of their choosing for part of the cycle.
Same for the new Training Expedititions.
This is a huge reason I don’t do Daily Expeditions. It even says that it goes to a land beyond reality. Makes no sense that it advances the cycle and places a settlement. I really hope they change this.
What if, the daily expedition already has an placement on the world map? So seeing the daily position, you can choose to take it or not
That's the reason why I don't do daily expeditions. Although, as per OP's suggestion, I would prefer it if a city were created.
Narratively, it could fit in with the rest of the game that it's the up and coming deputy videroy who's doing the dailies.
I concur as of now playing daily expedition feels like you are throwing away your blight cycle or admitting defeat because I would only do it if I knew I failed the cycle already.
I would also like to add
- Your city reach stays the same so the other factions get further while you get behind
- The daily expedition is independent of the time cycle yet affects it only negatively so the player gets punished for playing that game mode.